A storyboard is nothing but a solution and a map to guide all the eLearning professionals through each and every twist and turn of their eLearning program, training or course design. Storyboards make the whole process of eLearning design, development and evolution much more efficient. They not only help eLearning professionals to elucidate their ideas and content, but also enhance their way to deliver more engaging and visually compelling eLearning experience to their trainees, learners, or students.
In this article, I will share some tips to eLearning storyboards that will help you to improve eLearning communication.
It is known that every triumphant online course has one thing for sure and that is- a solid foundation. If there is no stable structure in place when you begin to create an eLearning product, every facet of your eLearning course will suffer as a result. This is how an effective storyboard turns out to be the solution and is the most vital tool in the content of eLearning training programs and courses.
eLearning storyboards make sure that the training professional or the trainer and the trainee or learner are precisely on the same page, as it describes each and every piece of the eLearning course, including all the interactive elements like visual, text and audio.
Storyboard can be used as a blueprint for the final product or one can use it as a stencil to make the concerned expert fill in the required details in the content to make the whole learning and training experience more visually appealing.
Given below are some tips to successfully create an eLearning storyboard:
- SELECTION OF A STORYBOARD TEMPLATE: A lot of free templates are there for you to find online for you storyboard, the only thing you need to do is decide whether you want to use Word, Power Point, or a commercial application.
- CLEAR IDEA OF GOALS: You need to have a crystal clear idea of your objectives beforehand. Setting primary and secondary learning and training goals in mind will clear out and guide the whole storyboarding proceeding. Recognizing what the learner wants and what needs to be delivered in the content, is the solution to the all the initial problems that can be faced in the process of storyboarding.
- KNOWING THE TARGET AUDIENCE: Communication and research are the most crucial elements in forming a storyboard and eLearning content. Surveys and one-on-one interviews should be conducted to know and grasp knowledge about the target audience. Information like educational background, culture, experience level, and skill sets can be gained by the above mentioned exercises which can help in learning the fact about what should be included in the eLearning training storyboard content and how it should be designed.
- DECIDING MULTIMEDIA ELEMENTS: The best way to help your audience capture the most important message that you need to get across, is through all sorts of multimedia like Images and graphics, animations, eLearning videos, etc. Decide upon all sorts of multimedia you want to incorporate in your eLearning training program or course by combining an analytical description of each in the parallel space of your storyboard.
- ADDING SCRIPT: After deciding and selecting all the media, start writing the corresponding script. Keeping screen text short and to the point is a good practice as more explanation will be given by your own voice over.
Keeping these tips in mind while making eLearning content and storyboards, it is sure that you will end up creating a successful and more effective eLearning training program or course as a whole.